Volunteering - How to start

Photo by Alexas_Fotos (Pixbay) 

This is a topic I don´t mind writing more about. Unlike other articles where I dread and straight-out hate writing a part two, I actually enjoy writing about volunteering since it does not feels forced or drawn out and it actually can help some people understand and get started themselves.

First off, I am not part of any charity organization, which might make this article less biased toward a certain type of volunteering work but surely less detailed than it could have been if I knew everything to look out for and think about.

The last article I wrote about volunteering may have touched upon a few aspects of how I started but in this article, I would want to go into more detail than I did in my other article. However, if you need reasons to volunteer, you should read the first article as well.

Identify what you care about

It is important to understand what you care about before volunteering since it is contra-productive to help someone you barely care about. It is not fair to the organization and it is not fair to you either since you would be committed to something you essential are indifferent about.

Volunteering is all about helping others and enjoying helping. It helps to determine the causes you are truly passionate about. It makes understanding much easier and it also makes it tons more fun. If you like animals consider an animal shelter. If you want to help seniors consider Retirement homes.

For instance, I started volunteering at a computer workshop for seniors who get together every week to help each other with their technology problems. Since I always wanted to give back to the generation that more or less (and for better or worse) formed our parental generation.

It helped that I understood what I was doing since computer science always came rather easily to me. However, what brought me the most joy was way the joy I could bring those seniors with my skills and new perspectives. Moreover, I adore the prospect of changing senior´s ideas of the younger unruly generation.

Understanding what you can do

Ask yourself this… What suites your personality the best? How do you want to help? What can you contribute to your community? Do you want to do something physically demanding or do you want to share your knowledge instead? What are the skills/knowledge you can offer?

Do keep in mind that volunteering is a social activity, which means if you are a rather introverted person, I would suggest looking for something that won´t have human interactions on a regular basis. Help set up a website or design a brochure.

Every city and community needs different types of volunteers. For instance, your city recently had an influx of immigrants so it is likely that they need more volunteers helping the immigrants instead of volunteers helping the animals in the animal shelter. However, there is always something that could pique your interest.

I can´t stress enough how much research you would have to do and how you need to inform yourself since at the end of the day you will be spending quite some time volunteering and you don’t want to end up hating helping.

Time and schedules

A major obstacle I had to work around while looking for a voluntary job is my university schedules. I do not mean to sound selfish in any way but I don’t want to fail my classes just to help out a few people. Therefore, first things first, determining how much time I have and how much I can spare.

You have to ask yourself… Do you have a lot of time and can help once or twice a week consistently or do you have less time where you can only help once or twice a month. Set that boundary before you start at any organization since you don’t want to make promises you can´t keep.

There are some organizations out there that need a reliable volunteer who will show up every week as promised. Some others give their volunteers more freedom to choose the time and place. Do your research before blindly running into a job.

If you are a rather lazy reader like myself, you can call up the organizations since they will gladly consult you to find the job that is best suited for you. They will also advise you against anything they believe that is not suited for you and your schedules.

Location, location, location

Another obstacle I had to overcome in my search to find the volunteering job I wanted was the location. Where was this organization based? Was it out of town or rather in the centre of the city? Is it easily reachable or not?

This is an obstacle for me since I don’t have a car and sometimes I am unenergetic enough to get there with my bike. Part of me also believes that the car drivers are a bit ruthless when it comes to cyclists in my university city and I am new in town so I don’t know my way around town.

Therefore, I have to look out for organizations I can reach with public transportation like a bus or subway or something I can reach by foot. I could not go to the edge of the world (exaggeration) regularly to help and get back in time before it gets too late. That is where I would draw the line

This is just another aspect to keep in mind when looking for an organization. How much time and resources you are willing to put into your way to the organization. If it is reachable for you and if you are willing to reach it frequently.

What the organizations want

Then you have to consider, the kind of volunteers the organizations are looking for. It would be a waste of time for both parties involved if you would apply for a job that you can´t do properly or do not want to do routinely.

Some organizations are very strict when it comes to their volunteers. The volunteers need certain qualifications and possess certain skills to do a certain job that they provide. Especially when it comes to helping minors and people with disabilities.

Some other organizations are rather relaxed with their volunteers since their voluntary jobs do not entail detailed knowledge about a specific topic or need volunteers with skills to help in their fields. However, this is dependent on the organizations themselves.

Nevertheless, don’t let qualifications or skills discourage you from the voluntary job you want to pursue. Even though volunteering plays second fiddle to your work or school, you can still learn to get that skill or study to gain that qualification. See it as an opportunity to learn something new rather than an obstacle.

Most organizations I have looked into thus far always have both options. Something more relaxed for volunteers with tight schedules and something for the more dedicated volunteers who are willing to help constantly.

Again, do not be shy to call or email the organization themselves to get more information. It is better for them to have volunteers who know what they are getting into rather than volunteers who are constantly the deer in the headlights.

Application Process

Instead of directly applying at an organization´s website, I found a website that lists all organizations in need of volunteers and gives a detailed explanation of the work that is entailed. This website gives a great overview of everything one can do as a volunteer.

The website I used is called SpendeZeit (in English: DonateTime. Not as catchy as the German version, I know but it is at least clever). It is an organization allowing people to donate time instead of money. Helping people who want to help find what voluntary job they want to pursue in their area.

I am not advertising that website but I just find what they are doing great and so much more accessible than the charity organizations sites. My generation (especially) just adore sites that sums up everything nicely. Where we do not have to spend hours surfing through multiple shady sites.

In all honesty, I am not sure if a site like this is available in every city or country, which lists all the local charity organizations but if there is, it is absolutely worth checking out especially if one has some extra time on one´s hands.

I did not need to spend too much time browsing through all the available options in my area to find something I like or at the very least find very appealing. The application process was also surprisingly easy. One just needs to leave behind a phone number and an email (& name obvi).

If there isn´t a practical website for your area, there are always other ways to find something in this internet age. There is the old fashion way of showing up to the charity organization´s front steps (mind the covid restrictions) or use the newspaper (there is always something in there).

There is also the ancient way of simply being observant. Some community bulletin boards located in supermarkets have volunteering posters. Keep an ear open since people could mention something. Keep an eye open since one might notice the events hosted by those organizations.

Alternatively, some blogs are listing all the charity organizations in your city and provide the links to apply. Searching for what one is looking for is also a viable option. Calling the organizations personally can also further you in your search.

In many of my past volunteering works, people just approached me and asked me if I wanted to lend a helping hand. The other time, the school wanted us to do some volunteering work and they provided a few suggestions. (So in the past, I did not actively look for volunteering jobs but they rather found me.)

Of course, one can also take the inconvenient and unscrupulous road where one gets into trouble and have to do community service as a punishment. However, first off, the verdict is unpredictable. Secondly, that beats the point of volunteering in the first place.

Trial and error

When you have finally applied to do a certain job, the organizations will get back to you and invite you to an interview/consultation. It is likely that they ask for the reasons you wanted to start there and past experience in that certain field.

With the organizations that got back to me and I went in for the interview, it felt a bit like a job interview. However, there is nothing to worry about unlike a job interview unless you have some serious red in your ledger. (I did not know that that was a black widow reference. I thought it was a common phrase.)

From this interview, the people are just trying to get to know you and explain what you have to do. This is the part where you can decide that this is nothing for you or you could decide to just go for it. The third option, just to try and then decide if it is anything for you.

Just make your intention clear to the person interviewing you. Tell them what you want and what you are capable of. If you are sure, you want to volunteer there or if you just want a trial period to determine your interest. From my experience, they will gladly let you try before deciding.

Sometimes it can be that you find what you were looking for immediately and that is great. However, there is also a chance that it is nothing like you expected and it is easier to find something else when you are only there as a trail volunteer.

Conclusion

There is more to volunteering than just showing up and helping. Against popular belief, organizations don´t let everyone volunteer since they do have to keep the integrity of the dedication of their cause and they have an obligation toward the cause they are supporting. Nevertheless…

Organizations all around the world are looking for volunteers who can donate some time. Those few hours every week may not be a lot to you but it could mean the world to someone else. Enough organizations need help and there is certainly something for you in your area.

Spending time volunteering seems like a better option than mindlessly scrolling through social media all day. It can be a break from the mundane routine one goes through every day. It can give you the opportunity to experience and learn something new and meet new people.

You do not necessarily have to be a textbook case of a good person to sign up to volunteer. You can be an average Joe or an ordinary Jane to volunteer. Your reasons can be self-serving or self-effacing. You can dedicate hours every week or hours every month. It is up to you.

One thing is for sure though, the immediate outcome of your work may seem insignificant at first but it could build up over time if you are willing to put in the time and the effort. Even if it doesn´t, the outcome of your help may have positively influenced someone else… you will never know unless you try.